Finding freedom is about moving toward something and not just away from something. While it is important to identify the obstacles in your life, it’s also essential to identify those things you’ve been unable to move toward because of the things that stand in the way.
God’s Kingdom is about love, peace, healthy relationships and most importantly, intimacy with Him. What keeps you from an intimate relationship with God? What stands in the way of you living in peace? What hinders you from loving people and being loved by them? God’s perfect design is for you to experience them all.
Scripture tells us that where the spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty (II Corinthians 3:17). It all starts with Him. We are complete in Him (Colossians 2:10) – not in anything else! However, we all desire to have healthy relationships and live in peace. God wants that for you! Is there anything that is keeping you from possessing them?
The enemy’s kingdom is about hate, discord, strife, turmoil and unrest. Do those things exist in areas of your life? Why are they there? When did they begin? What areas of your life and thinking do not line up with God’s word?
In finding freedom to live the abundant life that Jesus died for us to have, there are four areas we need to examine:
- Soul wounds – those places where people have hurt your heart (events, abuse, neglect)
- Believing lies (about self, God and others) – ungodly beliefs are often established in youth (and sometimes adulthood)
- Life patterns – repeated ways of doing things (they often existed in family of origin)
- Demonic bondage – those areas where the enemy has built strongholds that exist because of coming into agreement with the powers of darkness rather than God’s word. Demonic bondage can exist due to involvement in the occult or false religion, giving place to fear, generational iniquity, hurt and trauma, Idolatry, soul ties (to unhealthy things and people), unforgiveness and bitterness, word curses (words spoken over one’s self or by authority figures), etc.
Are there areas of your life where you aren’t experiencing freedom in Christ? I encourage you to invite God’s presence. Take time to ask and inquire of him:
- Lord, is there an area of my life where I’ve experienced hurt or trauma?
- What was the lie(s) I believed (about myself, you, others) when that happened? Did I come into agreement with the lie? What is the truth?
- Is there a life pattern in my life you would like to change? When did it begin? If that changed, what would my life look like? How would it affect my relationships?
- Have I (or my ancestors) given place to demonic bondage? Ask God’s forgiveness on your behalf and on behalf of your ancestors. Command anything of evil over you and your family to leave – never to return – In Jesus’ name!
Replace it with the opposite spirit (example: love for hate) – Ask God to fill you with His presence and the fruit of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22): But the fruit of the Holy Spirit is love, joy, peace, long suffering, kindness, Goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.